Tuesday, June 5, 2012

This week is my first hands-on experience in a third world country. The problems Americans face each day seem minuscule and insignificant compared to that of any given Nicaraguan I have come in contact with this week thus far. As the week has progressed I've realized various other differences in American culture versus Nicaraguan, or I assume any other third world country compared to ours. Some of these include, but are not limited to, the preparation of food, the sanitation of the people and the water, or even the obvious difference of language. However, I've also noticed a similarity in the two cultures raised a myriad of miles apart: love. Throughout the week I have been frustrated to notice something and anything meaningful. In this struggle I found that love is universal no matter what you look like or how you talk or what you wear. The love that we give to the Nicaraguans is louder than any words they speak which I cannot understand. I do understand their smiles, and their laughter, and their returning love for us. Discovering in a hands-on environment that love is universal and people are the same everywhere, despite the conditions they were raised in, is the most humbling experience I've yet to have encountered. I look forward to new revelations throughout the remainder of the week, and also will be looking for new signs of love. 

Ansley Dundore

No comments:

Post a Comment